Monday, March 8, 2010

Try It, You Might Like It...

Man Meeting Monday! Just a quickie for today. The Girlfriend showed me a blog that a guy was writing about what he wanted his son to know before he(the dad) became uncool. I browsed through it and most of them seemed like common sense. There were things like build stuff, throw a football with a tight spiral, never ask for directions and so on... With that going on, I've decided to do it one better. I'm going to challenge men out there to do something that isn't considered "manly".

Write a poem, paint a picture, take a dance class. Do something that is way out of your comfort zone as a man. I have found that when we are doing something we aren't good at, we find out the most about ourselves. I will use myself as an example... I am good at sports, but it wasn't until I pushed my boundaries that I found out I am also good at other things. I made The Girlfriend a quilt once, not for any special reason, but just because I wanted to. You may laugh and think its girlie, but I didn't do it for you. Plus for a good year I made all the other male significant others look really suspect.

So try new things. You may be pleasantly surprised. And in this age of manscaping and guys wearing girls jeans and glitter, no one is going to care if you try branching out. Just don't hold a purse. That will get your Man Card pulled.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Nick made a quilt when he was 8...then he tried knitting...he still likes football and guitar much better, but he's guy enough to branch out. Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is awesome! Now I want to see LB's quilt!

    P/S - Birthday celebration!! When are you guys free??

    ReplyDelete