Monday, January 3, 2011

December 21st, 2010.... (aka- Another Reason to Believe)

I sat there, illuminated for a few moments before everything went black again. The rain was hitting my roof and the radio was playing a song, but it all sounded like white noise; a buzzing sound that was a million miles away. I sat there taking stock, making sure that everything was in order. It all happened so fast I couldn't prevent it, but I can tell you this... I should have died.

With hands shaking due to adrenaline, I tried to open the driver's side door. But damage to the car prevented me from doing so. I unhooked my seat and climbed across to the passenger seat. The rain started to come down harder as I stood there in disbelief. It was only after exiting did I realize how fortunate I was. My car, which not five minutes earlier had lost traction, spun out across all 4 lanes of the freeway and then hit the embankment, lay perpendicular and extending into the right lane. It was a sight, with 3 exploded tires and a missing bumper. Standing up the road, I started to figure out who to call. But remembered I left my phone at home. (What can I say? When I do near death experiences, I go all out.)

I couldn't believe it. Not after it took 20 minutes for a good samaritan to help. Not after the highway patrol came and administered a field sobriety test, not even after calling Future Wife for a ride, a towtruck, and getting home at midnight. I still don't believe it.

What ifs immediately started coming and continue to this day. I just examine how if the tiniest of details had been different, such as other cars behind me, not wearing a seat belt, or being on an elevated overpass. Anything gets changed, and I might not be here now. It can only be described as a miracle. I should have died, but by the grace of God I didn't.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I'm glad you are alive. That is pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LB came over the next day & told me about your accident. I just wanted to say I'm so very, very glad you're O.K.

    ReplyDelete