Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Ballad of Alex Rogan

So I just finished watching the Tron Legacy trailer for like the 12 billionth time. It is the long overdue, and highly anticipated sequel to the 80's hit movie Tron. For those of you who aren't nerds, Tron is awesome. (Netflix this one, trust me...) It was one of the first movie to use heavy, heavy does of CGI. But as awesome as Tron is, the movie that cemented my official entrance into nerd-dom was The Last Starfighter. I love The Last Starfighter. I won't go into detail, but it involves aliens, epic 80's space battles, and video games. It had everything a 6 year old boy could dream of.

I have long since secretly prayed for a sequel to this movie. But I guess it didn't rock the worlds of everyone else as it did mine. But now with the new buzz around the new Tron movie, maybe somebody will take a second look at The Last Starfighter. I mean Ron Moore and David Eick took a campy, and slightly sexist space odyssey and turned into one of the greatest science fiction shows of all time. I'm hoping someone will do the same for The Last Starfighter. Until then, I will continue my crusade....

3 comments:

  1. Dave loves The Last Starfighter and we watched it with the boys...I think they liked it. We should rent Tron next (I've never seen Tron). My old school nerdiness comes in the form of Logan's Run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TLSF is my favorite SciFi movie also. The music score was fantastic. Also there is plans for a sequel! TLSF's composer Craig Safan talks about it here http://www.scorenotes.com/craigSafan.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honor of you I have just set my DVR to record TLS ;)

    ReplyDelete