Friday, April 23, 2010

Birthday Blowout Weekend Part 1

Today is another one of those birthday blogs... The first of two this weekend. I got one today and another tomorrow. So please bear with me as I send out sappy words of nonsense for the next few days. I promise to be back to normal complaining self by Monday.

Today I wanna talk about the second of my two sisters. But I know what you're thinking... "Bobby, you only have one sister right?" To that I say not true. In being a basketball coach and teacher, my mom has "adopted" kids for no reason. So its no surprise to come home from work or wake up on a Saturday and see kids hanging out at the house. But very few of them have worked their way in to my hearts as this particular one did.

I met her 12 years ago. She was significantly smaller then. She had shoulder length hair, band aids on her knees, and a chocolate pudding stain on her shirt. She was a certified tomboy, swearing up and down that she hated dresses, and all things pink and purple. She was one of the first people to ever receive a nickname from me. She became my favorite second grader ever, despite constant whining. And in the 4th grade she cemented her place in my heart for all time when she wanted to invite me to be her guest at "invite your dad day" at school.(Don't know if she remembers this, but I do.) I watched her play her first basketball game, greeted her as family on Senior Night(That's for graduating athletes playing their last home game) and hugged her as her basketball career came to an end. And even though they weren't the richest people, she and her mom always came with a birthday or christmas gift.

They haven't all been good times though. We have fought a lot. Sometimes we have used words, and sometimes we have used fists. I guess I should clear up that we don't have angry fist fights, just loving ones. She may not always agree, but she always listens. And she knows that no matter what, I love her and am always there for her.

So happy 18th birthday Brenna Rae, aka Brenna the Fish, Nemo, Fishsticks, Rae Bear, Brensisco, and Sis. You are a great person, a kind soul, and the best partner a guy could ever hope for in team Skip Bo (Team Bee Two One is unstoppable... Get at us if you think you can.) And even though you are legally an adult now, you will always be my kid sister.

2 comments: