Monday, March 28, 2011

Pretend Soldiers

Its raining and I'm in a bunker accompanied on either side by my comrades in arms, Leftie and Righty. My two companinions are wondering if the coast is clear, impatiently wanting to advance our position. The guy to my right pops up to look, only to be hurriedly chased back to cover by several shots aimed in his direction. All over the field you hear what sounds like firecrackers being exploded.

Leftie says, "I'm tired of waiting! I'm going for it!" And charges out from behind the bunker. Just as suddenly shots ring out. Righty and I exchange glances, each of us thinking the same thing... that Leftie is no more. Righty then makes a series of complex hand motions telling me that he's going right to draw their fire, and that I should wait a two count and peel left. Hopefully while they are following him I can move undetected. We give each other a knuckle bump for luck and the he goes. I wait my two seconds, and spin out to the left, gun trained looking for hostiles. Shots whizz past me, but I remain focused. I see two hostiles and with two quick taps on the trigger, both are eliminated. I am almost to my objective when I feel something hit my shoulder. And just after my head is knocked back as something hits me in the head.

I hear a whistle blow, and the referee screams, "Dead man walking, let him out!" I turn and slowly head back to my dead box, having just been destroyed by paintballs. I hear several of my teammates say, "aww man! HE'S out!"

This was me on Saturday. Pretending to play soldier with about 45 strangers. For it being my first time, I didn't know what to expect, but I had a blast. If you don't mind a little pain(getting hit with paintballs kinda hurts) I hightly recommend it. Although it helps to be short, or limber. (My two kryptonites.) its a great way for grown ups to play army men all over again.

2 comments:

  1. I used to organize paintball days for Dave and I when we were in our 20s. It's fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I'm short, limber, & can take pain! I also think I might like shooting folks (possibly a little too much). Maybe this is my sport!

    lol...nah.

    ReplyDelete