Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Musical Voldemort

So today I was talking to my good friend Joeydee. Which is how I spend a good portion of every day and seeing as how I talk to him so much, its a miracle I've gone this long without ever mentioning him before. We use facebook to communicate, send each other links with interesting topics, and then discuss them. It's kind of like The View, but with dudes. I was going to make an Elizabeth Hasselbeck joke right here, but then you all would question me on how I know so much about the show. (Don't ask...)

Today we were talking about music, and Lady Gaga(last time I mention her name) came up. Joeydee sent me a link with a picture of "She Who Will Not Be Named" (or SWWNBN for short) wearing a dress made of meat. After looking at the picture, my response was that she had on a stupid dress. But then it got me thinking, because someone had recently suggested that I listen to an artist from the UK by the name of Adele. To make a long story short, it was awesome. So I asked Joeydee, "Did the UK get a bunch of old Motown albums and start putting out sneaky good music?" He replied, "Yeah, but they will never be as popular as SWWNBN."

To me that's an injustice. That in this day and age, real quality music and musicians are being drowned out by auto tuners, latex unitards, and meat moo-moos. Marketability is more important to "music lovers" than great lyrics. More importantly, that your fashion statement is valued over whether or not you have talent.

I know this sounds like the old man with his "kid's these days don't know anything" routine. BUt as I get older, I'm slowly starting to see there is a little truth to that. So to artists like Adele, please know that as long as you keep making great music, I will be here to listen to it.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, the 13 year olds of this world now rule who we listen to on the radio. Now that you are not even in your 20s. no one cares about your tastes (at least when it comes to marketing - I care.) If I look back though, I was in college when I started to appreciate the good stuff like Ella Fitzgerald and Coltrane. If Adele is good she'll last longer than SWWNBN, because she 1. won't get over played and 2. is not a 13 year old's passing fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, my friend. I feel very perplexed whenever I think of SWWNBN.

    ReplyDelete