Sunday, June 21, 2009

Only Bill Cosby gives out Chocolate Cake

Happy Father's Day! Normally I don't celebrate today, but this father's day is a little bit different. I am happy to announce that I, Bobby Williams, am going to be a father sometime in the future! But all jokes aside, I figured that since I shouted out moms, it is only fair that I do the same for pops.

My relationship with my dad has in the past been akin to the Cold War of the 1960's. Never did fireworks ensue, but both parties clearly making it known that nuclear war could break out at any time. To me growing up, mom was the fun one... She taught me how to shoot a jump shot, throw a curveball, and dance so that I wouldn't embarrass myself when I went to dances. Dad on the other hand taught me how to dial a phone with one finger, (which I still don't do) during a rainy night on the side of the freeway, I got a hands on lesson on how to change a flat tire, and was able to get over my fear of public speaking by being made to emcee a basketball awards night. It seemed like for him everyday was a new chance to make me do something that I didn't really want to do. And for me it was a new opportunity to fight him with all I had.

My dad is not like the dads you might have found on your favorite 80's sitcom. I remember watching tv and seeing the sitcom dad talk to their kids about drugs, sex, and gangs with love and understanding. Those conversations on tv lasted half the episode, and ended with a hug... That's not how my "manhood" conversations went with my dad. He will deny this if you ask him, but this is exactly how it went. He called me into his room and I went in. As I turned the corner I see my dad, cleaning his gun (he's a cop), and he looks me dead in the eye and says, "If, you ever have a baby, do drugs, or join a gang I will kill you. I am a cop, I know how to do it and make it look like an accident. Are we clear?" I nodded my head, to which he replied, "Good, now send your brother in here." Who does that? You will never see that in any Dr. Spock book... Chapter 8 will never be "How To Threaten Your Kids Into Compliance". 

When I was younger, we fought about everything. But we also had some pretty great moments. He taught my brother and I the subtleties of getting revenge. He always said that without proper planning and execution, even the best plans can fail. He let us be part of a fake bank robbery, took us to Brazil, and taught me that people are always watching. One of his favorite quotes is "Character is what you do and how you act when no one is looking."

 But now that I am older, I see what my dad was trying to do. He was attempting to prepare me for adulthood. Sure, his methods were unconventional but they were effective. And despite my best efforts, I find myself becoming more and more like my dad everyday. And you know what? I'm okay with that. 

So happy father's day to all the dads out there. So enjoy your ties, coffee mugs, and macaroni picture frames. I look forward to the day when I am labeled the "World's Greatest Dad".

1 comment: