Monday, May 4, 2009

Past & Present

I was talking to a friend of mine today, who kindly reminded me that I was almost 30.  We were joking around, but it got me to thinking. Nothing too crazy, but just thinking about where I am at in my life and things like that. You know, taking stock and all that good stuff. But my voyage into the past raised some interesting questions.

You know how every kid growing up has a dream job? They run around dressed up like the cowboy or fireman that they hope to someday become, emulating the tasks of their desired future profession. Lord knows, I've been busted by many a 5 year old police officer for Unnecessary Naptimes. And not to mention the countless check-ups by the future doctors of America.

But me? I didn't have anything like that. I never had a dream job or goal when I was younger. I just kinda drifted along, rolling along with whatever life has brought my way. I never tried hard in school, because I never really had a goal. Whenever anybody asked me about the future my standard reply would be a simple "I don't know." Over time, that answer slowly morphed into, "Being rich." or "Being awesome." 

Even to this day I still have no dream job. No calling.... no goal.... Nothing that hits me so hard and so true that I could spend the next 20 years doing that one thing and feel like my life has not been a total waste. I am good at many things,  so much so that I would venture to say that I've got skills. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wonder what my life what would have been like had I had a dream. Or what my life would had been like had I tried harder. Would I be more successful? Definitely. Would I be happier? Possibly. But I realized that by the grace o God, I am exactly where I need to be. And I am loving every minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. I never stuck with the same job dream. I'm like the chameleon of job dreamers. I, like you, also feel pretty blessed where I am. Now when asked what I want to be when I grow up I say, "A healthy old lady".

    ReplyDelete