Monday, December 28, 2009

Everyone Has A Secret.... But Can They Keep It?

Whoever said knowledge is power lied. Some forms on knowledge are disastrous. Take secrets for example... Why do people tell you things that they know will get you killed? Maybe killed is a gross exaggeration, but never have I been told a secret that has benefited me.

I'd like to take you way back if I could. The scene is 9th grade, and a young Bobby Williams was told a secret by a very pretty girl in one of his classes. She looked me dead in the eye and said, "Don't tell anyone, but I have a crush on your brother." So being a trustworthy guy, I kept that a secret, and everything was going well until one day years later, said girl ended up telling my brother about her since dissipated crush. Now, my brother's response, "Why didn't you tell me?" was a very rational and well thought out response. The pretty girl responded by saying that she told me. She seemed very surprised that since she said, "Don't tell..." I didn't tell.

To make a long story short, this girl shortly after telling me her secret, ended up going out with another guy for like 3 years. Immediately after events unfolded, my brother waited for me outside of my class and then punched me in the stomach. And for the last 15 years, every once in a while, he will remind me of my transgression. So thanks for nothing secrets... and the people who tell them to me.

2 comments:

  1. I think I still have a secret left over from High School that someone shared with me and I plan on taking to my grave...I hope they don't mind.

    I hate when people tell you something "In confidence" and then repeat that with 20-30 other people and then are shocked that it's become gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've realized lately I don't really have many secrets anymore (that are my own). Does that make me uninteresting or more interesting? Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete